I came to LA for one of the world's largest Flea Market for my buying trip. It was sensory overload as there were hundreds of tents offering up furniture, jewelry, clothes, shoes and plants to upcycled items. If I lived in LA, I would definitely furnish my apartment with all of the mid century modern furniture and art. Rose Bowl Flea Market is by far the most massive flea market I have ever attended.
Here are my top 5 tips for surviving the Rose Bow Flea Market:
1. Get there early: It’s worth paying the extra $15 to get in at 8am. You avoid the crowd and can scope out the best items before anyone else. Plus if you get there early, the parking is free.
2. Have a game plan: Know what you are looking for. The place is huge and overwhelming with 2 large sections in the parking lot, and another wrapping all around the Rose Bowl. It was my first time there, so it was hard to know where to look first as I wanted to look at everything. Bad idea. Have a game plan and you'll be a bit more focused.
3. Hunt and Bargain: The fun of the market is the hunt for treasure, so spend a bit of time at each place that looks promising. Also, most vendors will give you a better deal if you ask for it.
4. Bring sunscreen, water and a hat: By noon, the sun overhead gets unbearably hot. Bring a hat and keep hydrated so you don’t get burnt by the sun.
5. Bring cash: Cash is king here, and you might loose out on something special if you don't have your cash ready and someone else snatches it up. Bring more than you think you need.
We're headed to Los Angeles this week to check out the markets and gather inspiration for our 2015 collection. A buying trip usually involves researching upcoming trends, buying product samples and taking photos for inspiration. I like to find most of my inspiration from vintage stores and flea markets as these places have the most unique pieces and details that I can incorporate in my sketches and designs.
I've been wanting to check out the Rose Bowl Flea Market for the longest time. It falls on every second Sunday and we just missed it last August when we traveled to Las Vegas for the MAGIC trade show.
I'll be posting more photos from our instagram feed. Follow us if you want an inside look at our finds from our travel diary: @loveatfirstblush